What vaccines are required by the University of Notre Dame?
- Hepatitis B series
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) series (after 1st birthday)
- Meningitis-ACYW (after age 16 and before age 21) Note: Meningitis-B vaccine, while recommended, does not meet this requirement
- Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (Tdap) (at or after age 10) or Tetanus, diphtheria (Td) if Tdap was received more than 10 years ago
- Varicella (Chicken Pox) series (after 1st birthday)
- In addition, international students coming from countries of high tuberculosis (TB) incidence will be tested at UHS.
How do I access Online Student Health, the patient portal?
Visit your patient portal to enter your vaccination records.
How can I upload my immunization records?
- Log into your patient portal using your Net ID and password.
- Click on the 'Forms' button and complete the Immunization Form. Follow the instructions on the screen.
- Enter the vaccination dates (mm/dd/yyyy) on the form in the portal.
If you are having trouble completing the form and attaching your records, take a screenshot of the error message and send it in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. A staff member will then contact you directly.
How do I know if my forms and vaccines have been received and verified?
Once you enter and upload your information through the patient portal, you will receive an "Upload Successful" message and then our staff will review your records. Please allow 3 weeks for processing. Once we verify that you have met all the immunization requirements, you will receive a secure message through the patient portal indicating that you are compliant. If you are missing any required vaccines, the secure message will indicate that you are non-compliant and will include instructions. You can monitor your status on the patient portal.
If I do not have any records of my vaccines, what should I do?
- You can contact your pediatrician’s office, your high school, your previous college, etc. and ask if they have your records.
- If you cannot obtain records, please make arrangements to receive the vaccines. (While lab tests are available to confirm immunity to some diseases, such as measles, mumps, rubella, hepatitis B, and varicella, they are more accurate with disease-induced immunity and often cannot detect vaccine-induced immunity. It is often easier and less expensive for students to repeat the vaccines than to get the blood tests first.)
Is there a deadline?
- The deadlines to submit required immunizations are:
- July 14 for all students who start in the summer and fall.
- March 1 for those students who start in the spring.
- If you cannot get your records in by the deadline,
- Submit and upload as much information as you can by the deadline.
- When we review your information, we will contact you via the patient portal with further instructions if you have not met the requirements.
Is a physical required?
A physical exam is not required. We do ask that you complete the New Student Requirement Form located inside your patient portal, which helps our providers take care of you when you come to UHS for medical care in the future. Answers to frequently asked questions about our forms can be found here.
What if I have a medical condition or religious considerations that prevent me from getting the vaccinations?
Students with medical contraindications or religious concerns can complete the Vaccine Exemption Request Form and upload it to their patient portal to apply for an exemption. Please allow 5 business days for processing the request. Any questions about the exemption can be emailed to email@example.com.