Preparing for your pre-travel health consultation appointment.
Before your appointment
Check with your insurance company to see if it covers the charge for travel vaccines. We do not file insurance (except the Notre Dame-sponsored plan), but an itemized statement is available for insurance purposes at onlinestudenthealth.
In addition, check to see if your insurance includes coverage for medical evacuation. This type of insurance helps absorb costs in case of serious injury that would require transportation to adequate medical facilities. HTH insurance is a low-cost insurance for travelers, if you need it.
Scheduling your appointment
Call 574-631-7497 for an appointment at least two months prior to your date of departure, if possible. If not, call and tell us your departure date, and we will do the best we can to accommodate you. Certain immunizations will need to be administered in series over several months and may not be able to be completed without enough lead time.
Pre-immunization counseling is required before shots are administered. No walk-in requests are honored for travel vaccines.
What to bring to your appointment
Please bring the following records (if possible):
- Immunization History
- Name and dosages of any medications you are currently taking.
- Physicians’ letters, which are needed to accompany certain medications. These can be provided at your individual travel appointment.
- Medical history, including allergies and/or chronic conditions.
- Itinerary—countries and regions where you plan to travel and the kind of housing/accommodations expected.
All travel vaccines are available at University Health Services, including:
- Hepatitis A and B
- Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis)
- Yellow Fever
- Meningococcal Meningitis
- Japanese Encephalitis
Prescription medications are also available for travelers’ diarrhea and malaria.