Aetna Student Health Plan FAQs
Click HERE for recorded video conference
- What are the options for spouses of students?
- Why do I have to be insured by an American-based company?
- Does Aetna have a 3-month prescription supply mail plan?
- What is the term of the plan?
- What are the costs of prescriptions?
- Do you offer a dental plan?
- Is there a way to see what the vision discount plan will cover and the cost associated with it?
- If we go to Health Services, do we have to pay 20%, plus the deductible?
- If Health Services refers me to a specialist, do I have to pay 20% of the costs?
- Do we have to pay our percentage amount (co-insurance) at the time of service to off-campus providers?
- How will this plan help with alternative medicine (massage therapy, chiropractic services, acupuncture, etc.)?
- How does the deductible work?
- Do prescription co-pays apply to the $500 deductible?
- Is maternity treated the same as any other illness?
Student spouses can purchase the same insurance plan provided to students. For pricing information, please see the rates listed above. Spouses and dependents can use the Notre Dame Wellness Center regardless of their enrollment in the University-sponsored student health insurance plan.
Medical expenses can be very high in the US and financial concerns are a primary reason why students leave college before graduating. The University requires health insurance so that students who need health care outside of University Health Services will not experience catastrophic medical expenses. Most area hospitals and doctors will not accept international insurance and students who do not have American-based insurance would have to pay expenses "out of pocket" (i.e., without insurance).
- Annual: August 15 to the following August 14
- Spring/Summer: January 1 through August 14
- Summer: May 15 through August 14
When your prescriptions are filled at the UHS Pharmacy in Saint Liam Hall there are single copays of $5 and $25; off campus, you pay 20%, 40% or 100% of the cost of the prescription, depending on the type of medication.
Yes! UHS is happy to offer a variety of optional dental insurance plans that are designed to meet the unique needs of Notre Dame students through Delta Dental, the University's partner in dental insurance for faculty, staff and dependents. See plan brochure Delta Dental Flyer and visit www.mysmilecoverage.com/ND to enroll.
There is no cost for the Vision discount plan. It is included in the health insurance premium. Because it is a discount plan, charges are reduced when you use preferred providers.
No. The medical care is reimbursed 100% in the clinic at Health Services, according to plan policy. However, prescription co-pays are charged in the pharmacy and co-insurance applies at Lab Corp. Only Notre Dame students can access medical care; dependents on the plan may use the pharmacy only.
Yes. You have a $500 deductible for off-campus services. You will need to meet the deductible first and then the charges will be reimbursed at 80% for in-network providers and 60% for out-of-network providers.
Not necessarily. Most providers will file your claim with the insurance company and then send you a bill after the insurance company pays the provider.
Medically necessary chiropractic services are covered under the policy. If services are for maintenance therapy or non-medically necessary services by a chiropractor, acupuncturist or massage therapist, they are not covered under the insurance plan.
However, there is a discount program through Aetna Student Health under the Navigator that allows patients to seek this care at discounted prices. This is included in the plan at no extra cost.
The deductible is $500 annually per person, per school year.
NO – co-pays and co-percentages DO NOT apply to the deductible but they do apply to the annual out of pocket maximum.
Yes. The $500 deductible applies and the reimbursement rate is 80% in network and 60% out of network.